February 2014 reads

>> Saturday, March 01, 2014

It was quality over quantity this month. Really not very many books (the total number of 9 includes one short story, one early DNF and 2 books I'm still reading), but three of those I did read I thought were amazing, and two were B+.



1 - The Luckiest Lady In London, by Sherry Thomas: A-
review coming soon

Historical. Heroine and hero are both 'fakes', and the only ones who recognise each other as such. Sparkling, I loved every minute.




2 - And All The Stars, by Andrea K Höst: A-
review coming soon

Sci-fi. Ensemble cast must fight off alien invasion. Excellent. I'm very glad I gave Höst another try, will even go back and finish Stray, which I DNFd.



3 - The Goldfinch, by Donna Tartt: A-
review coming soon

Audiobook. One of the most talked about books last year, deservedly so. It's a long one, but never bored me. Also, the narrator was particularly brilliant.



4 - The Mountains of Mourning, by Lois McMaster Bujold: B+
review coming soon

Short story, a sort of murder mystery, set right after The Warrior's Apprentice. The culprit was a bit obvious, but I loved it anyway.



5 - River Road, by Jayne Ann Krentz: B+
review coming soon

Romantic suspense, no paranormal crap (yay!). Not quite vintage JAK, but closer to it than anything she's done in years.



6 - Midnight Scandals, by Carolyn Jewel, Courtney Milan & Sherry Thomas: B-
review coming soon

Anthology, with stories happening in different time periods but linked by the geographical location. I really liked the Milan and Thomas stories, but Jewel's was not great.



7 - Murder On The Home Front, by Molly Lefebure: DNF
review here

Memoirs of woman who was assistant to forensic pathologist in London during WWII. Potentially fascinating, but bad writing made it tedious.



8 - The Chocolate Rose, by Laura Florand: still reading
review coming soon

Beauty and the Beast homage set amongst French chefs. I'm having a bit of trouble getting into it because the hero is coming across as really sleazy.



9 - Concealed in Death, by JD Robb: B+
review coming soon

Eve investigates when the skeletal remains of 12 girls are found behind false walls in a building Roarke's just bought. Loving it so far.

5 comments:

Marg 1 March 2014 at 08:23  

It's been years since I read a Sherry Thomas book. I really need to get back to her books.

I love some of Laura Florand's books but I can see how some of the heroes could get on some reader's nerves. They don't all work for me though. Some times they are a bit hidden angsty!

Rosario 1 March 2014 at 09:07  

You should, Marg. I actually think she's getting better and better.

Ok, so which ones did you love? Because I'm tempted to abandon this one and try another one!

Li 1 March 2014 at 17:00  

Yay for AATS!

Totally agree with you re RIVER ROAD - not her best, but I can see hints of that vintage JAK magic. I wonder if anything has changed in terms of editors etc. And thank goodness she's dropped the paranormal stuff.

Darlynne,  1 March 2014 at 17:34  

*\o/*

That's the cheerleader symbol for And All the Stars. So glad and relieved you liked it. The other books are in my TBR and I'm eager to get to them.

Rosario 2 March 2014 at 09:20  

Li: I agree. It's only hints, but that gives me hope. Who knows what has changed? I know other authors who'd jumped on the paranormal bandwagon and didn't do it well (e.g. Liz Carlyle) have gone back to non-paranormal, so maybe it's just fashion.

Darlynne: Love the cheerleader symbol, with its pompons! I've gone on a bit of a glom now as well!

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP