November wish list

>> Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Not my longest wish list ever, but a good few books I can't wait to read.


Books I'm definitely planning to get




Heart of Danger, by Lisa Marie Rice (Nov 6)

LMR is an author whose voice and themes unexpectedly resonate with me. Her hypermasculine, super-protective heroes shouldn't really work for me, but they do. This is the first in a new series.





The Perfect Hope, by Nora Roberts (Nov 6)

Third in the Inn Boonsboro trilogy. I haven't read the first 2, as I like to read NR's trilogies once they're all out. So far, it's garnered very "meh" reviews, so I'm not that anxious to read it, but Roberts is still an autobuy.






Still Life with Shape-Shifter, Sharon Shinn (Nov 6)

Similarly to the previous book, I haven't read the earlier book in the series and it hasn't had the greatest of reviews, but Shinn is an author I really love, so I'll be buying this.





The Duchess War, by Courtney Milan (mid-November)

I had this one my September wish list, as at the time I put it together, Milan had it marked as "late-middle to late September". Then it moved to my October wish list, and now it's November. Guess the uncertainty's the one negative of self-publishing! As I said then, I read the prequel novella that sets up this series, and it did its job wonderfully. Not only did I thoroughly enjoy it, it made me really want to read the main trilogy.



Antifragile: Things That Gain From Disorder, by Nassim Nicholas Taleb (Nov 27)

Taleb's The Black Swan had quite a bit of influence on my thinking. It's a brilliant book, but it's difficult to see how to apply its lessons in reality. This sounds like it might provide some insight into that.





Shadow's Claim, by Kresley Cole (Nov 27)

Looks like Shadow's Claim starts a new series, a spin-off of the Immortals After Dark series, which I really like.  The plot description talks about a competition for the hand of a beautiful sorceress in a blood-sport tournament and "a millennium's worth of savage need". Par for the course for Kresley Cole!





Books that interest me and I'll keep an eye on reviews for



Naughty & Nice, by Molly O'Keefe, Stefanie Sloane & Ruthie Knox (Nov 5)


I loved Ruthie Knox's Ride With Me and Molly O'Keefe's Can't Buy Me Love, so I quite fancy trying their stories here. I like the sound of Knox's story, but the idea of a heroine just out of high school doesn't appeal to me as much. Still, I'll give it a shot. Don't really know much about Stephanie Sloane, but 2 out of 3 is good enough.




A Gentleman Never Tells by Juliana Gray (Nov 6)

I've got the previous book, A Lady Never Lies, in my TBR. I've heard good things about it, and this one seems to have the same early 20th century Italy setting.





Night Whispers by Alisha Rai (Nov 6)

Post-apocalyptic adventure romance. It sounds like a thousand other books out there, but I've been meaning to try Alisha Rai's books for a while.





The Colony, by AJ Colucci (Nov 13)

The world is under attack by "a deadly supercolony of ants". I quite like the idea of an Outbreak-type romance, and this sounds interesting. Not sure if I can read it without becoming a bit paranoid, though!





Where Angels Rest by Kate Brady (Nov 20)

I liked Brady's first, One Scream Away. It had some issues, but showed lots of promise. This serial killer-type RS looks pretty good, guess I'll see if all that promise has been fulfilled.





Running Wild, by Linda Howard and Linda Jones (Nov 27)

First in a contemporary Western series called The Men from Battle Ridge. Seems to be a woman on the run plot. I've kind of gone off Linda Howard in the last few years, but this sounds like it could be a return to romance, and it's probably worth a try, if only from the library.





The Gilded Lily, by Deborah Swift (Nov 27)

My wanting to read this one is all about the 1660s setting.  As the blurb has it: "Set in a London of atmospheric coffee houses, gilded mansions, and shady pawnshops hidden from rich men's view". Nice!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP