Yet another Top 100 AAR reads memo

>> Friday, September 15, 2006

We've had a lot of fun with AAR's top 100 reads from 2004, haven't we? The Ja(y)nes from DearAuthor.com have tweaked it and posted a version with their thoughts on each of the books they've read, and I couldn't resist doing the same for mine, even though I've already posted a version (plus, it was a good chance to learn how to code tables in html... thanks Jane for the help!).

Sooo, here it is!

# Book Rosario's mini review
1 Lord of Scoundrels, by Loretta Chase Best romance novel ever
2 Flowers From the Storm by Laura Kinsale I feel like a peasant for saying this, but hated it. Couldn't like Maddie and I got BORED!
Welcome to Temptation, by Jennifer CrusieLoved it. Funny and sexy. Among my top 3 Crusies.
4As You Desire by Connie BrockwayLove it. The hero, the heroine, the setting, the "Egypt" speech... everything.
5Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie Loved it. Also in top 3 Crusies. Esp. liked that they didn't want kids.
6Dreaming of You by Lisa KleypasLiked a lot. Not my fave Kleypas (Kristie, don't kill me!), though.
7Outlander by Diana GabaldonHaven't read, and don't really want to, though I know I should try.
8Over the Edge by Suzanne BrockmannLoved it, both for the main plot and the Sam and Alyssa developments.
9All Through the Night by Connie Brockway Liked it a lot. But the hero and heroine were a bit too damaged.
10Sea Swept by Nora RobertsOne of my favourite NR trilogies, and that's saying a lot.
11It Had to be You by Susan Elizabeth Phillips Loved it, almost in spite of myself.
12A Summer to Remember by Mary BaloghLoved it. A surprise, because I hadn't liked the book that came before it (hadn't read many Baloghs, back then)
13Morning Glory by LaVyrle Spencer I know I read it and liked it, but I can barely remember it.
14The Proposition by Judith IvoryMostly liked it. Didn't completely love the hero.
15A Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaught Didn't like it much.
16Ravished by Amanda QuickFavourite AQ and great comfort read.
17Frederica by Georgette Heyer Haven't read.
18Mrs. Drew Plays Her Hand by Carla KellyHaven't read, but it's in the TBR.
19MacKenzie's Mountain by Linda Howard Ok, I guess. Can't understand all the fuss about it.
20Mr. Perfect by Linda Howard Nice enough, but LH's humour doesn't work for me very well.
21The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer Started it, but didn't get past pg 50. Might try again.
22Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenLoved it.
23The Bride by Julie Garwood Another I abandoned after a few pages.
24Devil's Bride by Stephanie LaurensHated it the first time, liked it a lot on reread (why did I reread? No idea).
25To Have and to Hold by Patricia Gaffney Loved it. Book that proved that a good author can make me love anything.
26Born in Fire by Nora RobertsIn in my #3 spot when I voted for this, and still probably is in my top 5. I adore the heroine.
27Winter Garden by Adele Ashworth In in my #4 spot when I voted for this, and still probably is in my top 5. I adore the heroine.
28Gone Too Far by Suzanne BrockmannObjectively and in hindsight: not that good. But I loved it anyway.
29The Viscount Who Loved Me by Julia Quinn Loved it. Excellent hero and heroine. Plus, Bridgerton Pall Mall scene.
30Saving Grace by Julie GarwoodHaven't read and not interested in doing so.
31My Dearest Enemy by Connie Brockway Loved it, especially those letters. Ahhhhh.
32In the Midnight Rain by Barbara SamuelLoved it, perfect book. And what a hero!
33The Windflower by Laura London Haven't read, but it's in the TBR.
34Naked in Death by J.D. RobbLoved it, the book that started it all. Took me a while to start book 2 for fear it might spoil NID's HEA.
35Whitney, My Love by Judith McNaught Hate, hate, hate, HATE it. Clayton Westmoreland should be castrated with a rusty spoon.
36Nobody's Baby but Mine by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsHated the setup, but ultimately loved the book. In spite of myself. It's always the same with SEP.
37A Knight in Shining Armor by Jude Deveraux Sentimental favourite, even though Douglass was a ninny. Didn't mind the ending.
38Paradise by Judith McNaughtAnother sentimental favourite. First read it in 1992, when I was 14. I reread it last year and it's held up just fine.
39The Shadow and the Star by Laura Kinsale Loved it, brilliant book. I didn't like the heroine, but I loved the book anyway.
40Dream Man by Linda HowardLoved it, in spite of Dane's perpetual hard-on and his actions late in the book.
41Out of Control by Suzanne Brockmann Loved it, in spite of its having almost no Sam & Alyssa (I was obsessed at the time!)
42Silk and Shadows by Mary Jo PutneyI read it, but though I remember I loved it, I can't remember any details.
43See Jane Score by Rachel Gibson Liked it a lot. Hero was yummy. Her best to date, IMO.
44Shattered Rainbows by Mary Jo PutneyGreat book, I even loved Saint Catherine. Only negative was that weird hunt thingie.
45Thunder and Roses by Mary Jo Putney Read a long time ago, but loved it, still remember the billiards scene, and the mine scene.
46The Duke and I by Julia QuinnLiked it a lot, but I was truly horrified by something Daphne does.
47Heart Throb by Suzanne Brockmann Probably my favourite Brockmann. I wish she'd stop doing SEALs and went back to books like this.
48For My Lady's Heart by Laura KinsaleFavourite Kinsale. Melanthe was AWESOME!
49Honor's Splendor by Julie Garwood Best of the Garwoods I've forced myself to try. Which isn't saying much.
50Lord Carew's Bride by Mary BaloghLiked it, though I've enjoyed some of the books related to it more. Holds the honor of being the first used book I purchased online.
51Untie My Heart by Judith Ivory Ahhh, Stuart! Loved it, fresh and different and a little bit twisted.
52Dream a Little Dream by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsCouldn't stand it. Depressing, horrible judgmental hero and stupid martyr heroine.
53The Secret by Julie Garwood Haven't read, and won't. Can you tell Garwood isn't an author I like?
54This is All I Ask by Lynn Kurland Blech! I detested this book. Can't believe it's here, it's so BAD!
55Slightly Dangerous by Mary Balogh Loved it. I'm a Wulf fangirl.
56One Perfect Rose by Mary Jo PutneySchmaltzy, but it works. I loved it anyway.
57To Love and to Cherish by Patricia Gaffney Excellent. Gaffney makes a vicar a wonderful hero. Should reread it.
58Kiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsHaven''t read it, and it doesn't really tempt me. I think it might be in the TBR.
59Heaven, Texas by Susan Elizabeth Phillips Loved it, (all together now:) in spite of myself.
60Venetia by Georgette HeyerHaven'read it.
61Daughter of the Game by Tracy Grant Loved it. Fascinating and complex, and an incredibly wonderful heroine. And the hero was perfect for her.
62The Prize by Julie Garwood Haven't read, nor will I.
63Reforming Lord Ragsdale by Carla Kelly Haven't read, but would like to, if I could find a copy.
64Prince Joe by Suzanne BrockmannLiked it, but like with Mackenzie's Mountain, I don't see the fascination.
65The Notorious Rake by Mary Balogh One of her best. The way she redeems the rake is fabulous (and I'm not usually a rake-lover).
66Heartless by Mary BaloghHaven't read it, but it's in the TBR.
67Son of the Morning by Linda Howard Read it a long time ago, but I think I liked it a lot.
68Sleeping Beauty by Judith Ivory Haven't read, but it's in the TBR. Actually, started it once and put it aside, but I'm pretty sure it was my mood.
69Where Dreams Begin by Lisa Kleypas Liked it a lot, in spite of the often doormat-ish heroine.
70The Devil's Cub by Georgette HeyerHaven't read it.
71The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons Haven't read it, but it's in the TBR.
72The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegar Ditto. Haven't read it, but it's in the TBR.
73With This Ring by Carla Kelly Liked it ok. Not very memorable, though.
74The Lion's Lady by Julie GarwoodHaven't read it, of course.
75The Rake by Mary Jo Putney Liked it a lot. Not my fave Putney, and maybe too heavy on the psychobabble, but it was good.
76Fallen from Grace by Laura LeoneExcellent. Difficult theme, but Leone handled it wonderfully.
77Always to Remember by Lorraine Heath Loved it. One of the most admirable, sweetest, more corageous heroes I've ever read.
78Castles by Julie GarwoodNo, no, no, no.
79One Good Turn by Carla Kelly Brilliant. Wrenching, but in a quiet, subtle way. All in the little details.
80Chesapeake Blue by Nora RobertsVery nice, but... come on man, you're a grown-up, and you've been so for years!
81By Arrangement by Madeline Hunter This non-fan of medievals LOVED this one (and the other two By... books).
82Perfect by Judith McNaughtI know I've read it, but I'm drawing a blank. Maybe cause I read it in Spanish, and translations tend to be so indistinct.
83My Darling Caroline by Adele Ashworth Liked it a lot. Felt fresh, and I loved the brilliant heroine.
84The Defiant Hero by Suzanne BrockmannSay what you want about the heroine (I mostly agree), but it was a good book anyway!
85The Unsung Hero by Suzanne Brockmann Tom and Kelly: I couldn't care less. The WWII old guys: ditto. But David and Mallory... ahhh, made the book for me.
86Guilty Pleasures by Laura Lee GuhrkeEh, nice enough.
87Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte Loved it.
88Kill and Tell by Linda HowardDon't know why the manipulative hero didn't bother me, but it was an amazing book. And the dancing on the balcony scene was very, er, impressive.
89After the Night by Linda Howard Total guilty pleasure (the double standards in this book make smoke come out of my ears). A classic.
90More than a Mistress by Mary BaloghVery good. Love her cold heroes.
91Born in Ice by Nora Roberts Liked it well enough, even though I never completely warmed to Brianna.
92Miss Wonderful by Loretta ChaseLoved it. Not as good as her best, but Alisdair is a wonderful character.
93The Charm School by Susan Wiggs Can barely remember it. I think I have it mixed up in my mind with an Eva Ibbotson book.
94Scoundrel by Elizabeth ElliottHaven't read it.
95How to Marry a Marquis by Julia Quinn Sweet and nice, but almost too innocent, IIRC.
96Angel Rogue by Mary Jo PutneyNice enough. Can't remember many details, either.
97Trust Me by Jayne Ann Krentz My absolute favourite JAK. With Ravished, my top comfort reads.
98Dancing on the Wind by Mary Jo PutneyLoved it. Especially the first sections. And I loved that Lucien was a more discriminating hero than I was used to at the time.
99Once and Always by Judith McNaught I know I read it, but which one is this? *Google, google* Ahh, ok. Yeah, I can only remember I loved the final scene.
100This Heart of Mine by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsLoved it. Didn't want it to end.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP