The Devil to Pay, by Susan Napier

>> Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Undemanding mind candy, but usually with an interesting twist or two = Susan Napier to me. My latest pick from my huge pile was The Devil to Pay.

Cressida was anything but disciplined

Except when it came to her work as a wildlife photographer. Behind a camera she was utterly dedicated, meeting all her deadlines regardless of the job's difficulties.

So it wasn't surprising that despite the onset of a high fever, she left Auckland determined to reach Coromandel. But it was a disastrous idea - and when Cressy came out of her delirium she found herself at Devlin Connell's country estate.

Unfortunately, she'd interrupted a top-secret meeting and Dev wasn't about to let her loose to spill the beans....
Ok, so it's been a while since I read this book... about a month. Sure, I should have written my post earlier and not let it slide, but I just couldn't find much to say about it, so I just wrote my posts about easier books, posts which practically wrote themselves. And now, while I remember liking The Devil to Pay all right while I was reading it, I can barely remember any details. That says C+ to me!

Let's see what I can get if I concentrate... Heroine? Pretty ok, I think. I liked her profession, which was the most memorable thing about her. She was a wildlife photographer, a good one, and she'd travelled all over the world doing her thing. Other than a few vapid moments, she mostly avoided TSTL-dom.

Hero? Dominant alpha, sure, and fond of making big assumptions, but I kind of liked him. He wasn't the cruel type, and he treated Cressy mostly all right.

Plot? Hmmm, as far as I can remember, it was pretty contrived. Not throw-the-book-against-the-wall contrived, but you did see the author's hand trying to force the plot into the path she wanted it to take.

Verdict? Only for hardcore Napier fans. She has much better titles you should try first.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP