Dangerous, by Amanda Quick

>> Thursday, April 03, 2003

I first read Amanda Quick's Dangerous when it came out 10 years ago, at age 15. At that time, I used to sign the first page of books I read with the date (this was BI - Before Internet, so I never dreamt I could end up trading the books with other readers in the rest of the world). It was a bit of a shock to open Dangerous and see my name and "1993" there. Can't believe it's been that long!

I must confess I didn't particularly like this book back then, as far as I can recall. I think I had another AQ too, and didn't much like it either. I was more into other authors at the time, I think. I remember I used to love Sandra Brown, and my other favourites included authors like Catherine Coulter, Jude Deveraux, Johanna Lindsey... all authors I've stopped reading now. In fact, there are very few books I liked at the time that I can tolerate to reread now.

Anyway, a few years ago I bought another AQ by mistake, thinking she was a new-to-me author and I really, really liked it. When I noticed I had these two others by her, I reread them and oh, surprise! I thought they were pretty good, so I bought the rest of her backlist. I enjoyed them, but it wasn't until I started rereading them again a few months ago that I loved them. I guess I must be the opposite of most people I've met online. I've read poster after poster saying they've grown out of her books, but in my case I didn't get them as a teen and have learnt to enjoy them only now.

Enough about me. Onto Dangerous:

From a magnificent ballroom ablaze with lights to an imposing country house steeped in shadows comes a breathtaking tale of an impetuous miss--and a passion that leads to peril...At five and twenty, Prudence Merryweather knew very well tht risks a woman took by visiting a gentleman in the dead of night. But bearding the notorious Earl of Angelstone in his den was the only way to stop him from engaging her hot-headed brother in a duel. And that was why she found herself ushered into Sebastian's frobidding presence at three int the morning--and thoroughly kissed before dawn.

She was a country-bred innocent--and an intriguing experience for a man who dwelt more in the shadows than in the sunshine. Yet as her boldness drew Prue into one dangerous episode after another, Sebastian found himself torn between a raging hunger to possess her and a driving need to protect her. And the reckless beauty would soon need all the protection she could get...

Great book. My grade's an A. The dark side of it was very well integrated with the lighter part, something which isn't particularly easy to do. The characters themselves were nothing too innovative; just classic AQ. She's the oblivious bluestocking, who is the only one who sees the real man the hero is. He, of course, is the perfect tortured hero, for whom the heroine is his salvation from inner demons. Predictable, in a way, but it works.

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP